Half Marathon State #40
Start Time: 7am
Temperature: 70 degrees
Division Place (Filly): 7/37
Age Group place: 73/133
Finish Time: 2:19:03
|Post race with 2 of my 3 buddies.|
1. Fly into Boston (since there is a direct flight from Portland, Oregon). Rent a car, eat dinner in New Hampshire and sleep in Maine. Visiting three states in a few hours still blows my west coast mind.
2. The host hotels were much more expensive than the AirBnB we found. It was a third floor walk up on Quebec St., up the hill (one mile) from downtown and the race start/finish. We had two bedrooms, a kitchen and just enough amenities for the limited time we stayed at the place. If you rent it, I hope the AC works a bit better, and the first floor pot smoker takes a break from his 24 hour, 3 day high. We never met him, but the smell was constant.
3. Don't just fly in and out for the race. Make this weekend a long one. Portland, Maine is an amazing city.
|Shop at a store named after you!|
|Take a Lucky Catch lobster cruise. Be a bit sad that it is an educational cruise and you can't keep the lobster you pull up.|
|Buy fresh lobster from the boat captain anyway. Have the Portland Lobster Company cook it up for you next door.|
5. The race expo was uneventful. A lobster feed was offered for an additional charge, but we chose to eat lobster at restaurants. All I got at the expo was my bib #. Some of the other girls bought the race shirt, which was $12 extra. I chose to save my money for more lobster.
6. The course was much hillier than I expected.
7. The finish is along the coast, right into downtown. I struggled for most of the miles. But, as I ran by the paramedics that were dealing with a guy who had heat exhaustion at mile 12, I once again realized my goal is to start and finish a race in each state. Finish time really doesn't matter.
|However, my new found love for yoga, almost had me jumping over the fence in the last mile to join these ladies.|
Ironically, the post race beer garden gestapo didn't even want to see my ID. He grabbed my race bib, flipped it over, and used my age off of it to let me in. Weird.
|Shipyard beer, get it? The medal is a ship also. Very cool.|
|Here's all 4 of us, since E was so fast she was showering by the time the rest of us finished. That's Sonya, me, Elizabeth and Zenaida. We simply had a blast. Round up 3 of your friends right now and plan a trip to Maine.|
10. You may remember that there are no Dunkin Donuts in Oregon. On our way back to Boston, I wanted to stop at one. However, the line was too long and across the parking lot was Tim Hortons! Could this state be any better with the selection of donut shops?
11. Don't forget to plan to stop at the Lululemon Outlet in Kittery, Maine!
Next up, state #41, Maryland, the Woodrow Wilson Bridge Half in October!