Friday, November 16, 2012

New 2 U Cross Training - November - Lap Swimming

Way back in January, when this challenge was in its infancy, if you had asked me if I would be swimming in 2012, I would have laughed and said NEVER.  Well, I did jump around in the pool in Hawaii, but that surely doesn't count.

Swimming as a workout?  Laps (defined by S as down AND back, or one lap = every time you drink some Gatorade) without music?  Water in my ears and getting my hair wet, blech.

With spiffy new goggles and Gatorade!
Desperate to try something really, really new to me, I caved and promised to swim this month.

I'm not good about trying new things by myself, with strangers, in swimsuits.  Hence, the challenge was much needed.  Luckily, this time, I had adult supervision (S even bought me goggles, Speedos from Fred Meyer, that work great).

Goggles that actually work.
Last Tuesday, after strategically reviewing the pool schedule at the local Y, the least busy time was selected.  I peppered S with important questions on the way over...

What do I take into the pool area?  Your goggles, towel and Gatorade.  Wear your flip flops and leave them at the side of the pool with your towel.

What if we have to share a lane?  You take one side and I take the other, duh.

(Gasp) What if there are three people in our lane?  There won't be.  The pool is dead at this time of day.  Fine...we would swim in circles.  No big deal.  You make eye contact with other swimmers and you work it out.

S was right.  The pool was dead.  We each had a lane to ourselves.  Come to find out, he does his repeats (?) in 250 yard increments.  Five laps (ten lengths, or half laps, or what I thought were laps) in our 25 yard pool.  Then, he takes a short break, a drink of Gatorade, a word of encouragement to his wife...and swims off to do another 250 yards.

My repeats ended up being half laps.  That's right, every time I touched a wall, I got a little break. Lots of incentive on the far side, to get back to the Gatorade on the near side, though.  Swimming makes me thirsty, who knew?  I drank a bit of Gatorade after every 50 yards.  Michael Phelps would be so proud.

Keeping track of my distance was a challenge.  I finished with 600 yards in 25 minutes.  S did almost twice that much.

More importantly, I LIKED it.

No pressure for time or distance.

No pain in my ankle or calf.

Cute guy swimming in the lane next to me.

Unlimited Gatorade.

When we finished, S mentioned I took 21 strokes per length.  Which, I guess, is not terrible.  He encouraged me just enough, that we went back yesterday.  I'm not ready for a triathlon, or any other high pressure swimming.  But, for weekly cross training, I am a huge fan.

Why didn't I try swimming sooner?  Why did you guys keep this a secret from me?

Follow (Just) Trying on Facebook or Twitter

12 comments:

Tasha @Healthy Diva said...

Yay! Glad you liked it! I didn't realize that Scott was a swimmer. Now you can swim with him and then he can run with you. :-)
Swimming really is good cardio for you, I just think that it is hard. Haha. I go through phases of it, but haven't been in a pool for over a year to swim laps just because I don't have access to one.

Murph said...

You know, that's a good idea. I've been trying to think of ways I can keep my conditioning up through the winter without freezing to death running the streets. I'll have to give swimming a try.

debby said...

I love my swimming. This is the first year I am going to try to swim through the winter. I bought one of those swim shirts and it really helps.

Shelley said...

Good on ya for trying (and liking) swimming!!! It will come in handy.

I never drank while I swam - too much effort at the thought of getting out of the pool to use the bathroom - once I'm out, I'm OUT, lol!

Mommy Run Fast said...

Nice job! I have the hardest time getting myself to the pool but once I'm there, I never regret it. It's a great low impact workout!

Running On Candy said...

I want to be able to go swimming at the Y but it is SO expensive here in NY!!!

giraffy said...

You're so fancy!! Swimming terrifies me!

Elizabeth said...

can’t believe you liked it. i seriously suck at it and have no sense of how to stay straight. love that S went with you (and that you mention him as the cute guy in the lane next to you). nice work! only 1 more month. and i’m telling you now, i think i’ve run out of new to me’s for 2013 :)

Lisa J said...

I don't think I could do this- I would need a LOT of encouragement. Mark is a really good swimmer and I know he's just waiting till I say "teach me" haha fat chance

Lisa said...

That's awesome! I haven't been participating in your challenge, but this post made me think about doing some swimming this weekend. And that's huge because I don't like having to drive to work out and the pool is a 1/2 hour away. Plus I hate public showers and wet hair. But I do want to get better at swimming...

ajh said...

I started swimming last year for the first time and did try tris this summer. Best thing ever! Have fun.

B. Jarosz said...

I'm SO proud of you!!!!
Congrats on tackling a huge new challenge!