Thursday, January 30, 2014

Three Things Thursday

1.  I completed my first "new" weights workout on Tuesday morning with 15 lb. circuits and 7.5 lbs. super sets.

I'm not afraid of you.
I chose the easier hybrid circuits (read: no lunge combinations) for this first two weeks.  The reps were lowered to "just 8" and I made it through 5 complete circuits in about 16 minutes.  I was going easy on myself so I wouldn't get intimidated, but this was too easy.  17.5 lbs. here I come!

The superset for 5 minutes got harder as the minutes passed by.  I did pushups combined with rows standing up.  7.5 lb weights sure are light when you are starting, and they sure get heavier at the end.  I may need to up them to 10 lbs.

If you had asked me in October if I would be working out with weights this heavy, I would have laughed at you.  I'm looking forward to pushing myself and seeing what I can do.

2.  Yesterday I made it to the swimming pool after work, again!  I'm a Wednesday afternoon regular, I tell ya.  I can leave the office in time to sneak into lap swim if I get my work all done.  

It wasn't too difficult yesterday, as our internet, email and internal operating system were down due to a line being severed at corporate in Indiana.  I hear you folks are having some nasty weather--I wonder how many days it will take to get this fixed?  I have piles on my desk all prepped and ready to go, if we ever get the interwebs working again.

3.  For those of you following along with A's basketball saga--they lost another starter last night (this make 4 girls out with injuries).  A shoulder injury that I hope doesn't sideline her for more than a game or two.  A has a big target on her back, as the last starter standing.  They had high hopes for this season, but most of the experienced players are on the bench, in plain clothes.  Agh!  The "year to win state" has turned in to a building year.  It's been a tough pill to swallow.

Away game loss last night.  At least we had great seats!

5 comments:

Christy @ My Dirt Road Anthem: A Runner's Blog said...

Bummer on another basketball loss, that is a lot of girls out with injuries! But great job with the weights!

Shelley said...

Poor A, and poor A's team. Sometimes you just can't catch a break. Lucky for her she's got a couple more years left to play in HS.

Lisa J said...

i've been doing this RIPPED class which is like body pump / plyometrics etc with lower weights. I've been doing 5lbs until I got the moves down and have finally upgraded to 8- whoa 3 lbs makes a big difference with some of the moves!

Amanda RunToTheFinish said...

I'm definitely doing more strength than I used to...but I feel like I"m not making much progress on the amount of weight I'm lifting. Oh well one thing at a time!

Elizabeth said...

aw, poor A! That's hard....but will hopefully only make them each stronger mentally. Yay for more weights!